I don’t know about you, but I wasn’t prepared for 2016.
It wasn’t a smooth transition for me.
This year I found myself working up to and on New Year’s Eve – with little time to review my previous year and prepare for the next – which is why I’m posting this toward the end of January.
But it’s a new year and it’s time for a new mindset. #NewYearNewYou
I want this year to be full of personal freedom and executing God-sized dreams, not just another year.
In fact, I chose “freedom” as my word for 2016.
I’m excited about this for a few reasons.
- I love even numbers. Gotta be open and honest about that.
- 2016 is a presidential election and we, as a nation, will determine where we want to take our freedom. I intend to post more on that throughout the year…
- But more than anything, I’m excited about exploring what it means to be “truly free” in Christ.
It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. – Galatians 5:1
I’m reminded of two examples in the Bible – Joshua and Joseph.
Pastor Steven Furtick preached a New Year’s Eve message on Joshua, which inspired me to write this post and name it after his sermon title, which was inspired by Adele. Lot’s of inspiration here, which you can watch here.
He focused on Joshua taking the mantle after Moses died and crossing over into freedom and what that looks like practically in our lives.
After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ aide: “Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them—to the Israelites. I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates—all the Hittite country—to the Mediterranean Sea in the west. No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them.
“Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:1-9
Like Joshua, I believe God is calling us, now, to be strong and courageous, and to crossover into the calling He has placed on our lives.
Pastor Robert Morris preached a sermon series, “Dream to Destiny” on Joseph and the tests we go through to go from a God-given dream to the destiny He has for you, but here is a shorter version that he preached to young adults.
My prayer this year is that we move forward in community, working out our salvation, with Christ’s freedom before us and a growing testimony of victories to point to behind us.
I’ve revamped my website and I hope to post here more often this year – from faith to politics to everyday life.
I look forward to all God has planned this year, for me and for you.
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11
Here’s my abbreviated goals and plans for 2016:
- Freedom – “Truly Free: Breaking the Snares That So Easily Entangle” by Pastor Robert Morris
- Church – Grow in community at Hillsong NYC, Triumph DC, and Gateway
- Family – Grow closer, spend more time together
- Israel – Trip in February with Israel Collective
- Hebrew – conversational and Biblical via Pimsleur
- Guatemala – lead a mission trip to Hogar de Vida
- Spanish – so I can communicate in Guatemala via Duolingo
- Devotional – finish and get published
- Model – I am in New York City
- Health – eat better, Juice Plus+, essential oils, rest, and exercise (maybe a marathon)
- Fun – dance, laugh, smile, honor and thank others
- USA – promote freedom, justice, and seek revival
- Secrets – have more secrets with God than myself and others
- Dream – dream God-sized dreams and live them out!
What do you have planned this year? Anything you’d like me to comment on/weigh in?
BONUS: One of my favorite worship songs, “Closer Than You Know” by Hillsong UNITED: